Thursday, September 23, 2004

Blogging 101: Blogger.com

A lot of people (okay, a couple...but humor me) have asked how they can start their own blog. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do claim that I kinda know what I'm doing. I don't have everything down yet, but I know how to do what I do...and that's what I'd like to share. I'm going to take a few posts to talk about some of the tools I use to make my blog the way it is.

The first and main thing that you should do is to, well, get a blog. The one I use is Blogger. Why blogger? Well, for starters it's free. Second, it's owned by Google and I like them. There is a "Blog This!" button on the Goggle toolbar which makes it easy to start a post on your blog. But mostly, it's just easy and I haven't tried anything else yet.

Setting up a blog with Blogger is like customizing Yahoo!. It's simple and you can be done in less than 5 minutes, but you'll spend plenty of time tweaking it all. So to start, go to www.blogger.com and join them with a user ID and password. Then you have to decide on two things: the name of your blog & the URL for your blog. Your blog name can be anything. Mine is "Orangejack Blog". The URL you're able to pick the first part of the name. Mine is orangejack.blogspot.com. They will give you the ".blogspot.com", you supply the "orangejack" part. If that URL hasn't been taken, you're in business.

Now you choose a template to use and you're ready to go. Now just create a post and publish it.

You've started your blog.

Stay tuned when next time you'll see my type, "photos are easy"...





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]