Monday, October 11, 2004

Blue Like Jazz

I just finished my copy of Blue Like Jazz today. I'm a slow reader. I've written about it a couple of times. It's a very good book and I recommend it to everyone.

I was fascinated by how he writes. The things he said about spirituality resonated with me a lot. Because I've touched on this stuff before, I'm going to only mention this last thought. At the end of the chapter called "Alone", he writes:
If loving other people is a bit of heaven then isolation is a bit of hell, and to that degree, here on earth, we decide in which state we would like to live.
This is a fascinating quote I've been going back to several times. I don't want to be alone, yet sometimes I live alone. Alone can be good. But it can also be bad. It's a struggle of mine. I've been burned badly by opening up to people. I've lost relationships over it. So my response is to be alone.

And that isolation is a bit of hell.

Anyway, a good book. Pick it up. I see he's got a new book that just came out. I think I may have to pick up a copy.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]