Thursday, December 16, 2004

BCS Mess

The BCS is always a mess. I wrote this last year and turns out, I still feel the same way!

If I were King of NCAA Division I-A Football, here’s what I would do:
  1. Find 300 people who are part of the press who represent a good cross section of the country. They can work in television, radio, or publishing. They, collectively, have seen every team, every play, every game. Each week they collectively vote to let us know their opinion of how each of the 117 teams rank among each other. I shall call this the "Press Ranking".
  2. Find a representative from every school. 117 members. They can be a coach, AD, school president. I don't care whom, but every school gets one representative. Each week they collectively vote to let us know their opinion of how each of the 117 teams rank among each other. I shall call this the "School Ranking".
  3. Find 10 independent computer rankings that are not connected to a newspaper, television station, or radio station. Each week they collectively publish their rankings to let us know their opinion of how each of the 117 teams rank among each other. These 10 rankings shall be averaged together to create one ranking. I shall call this the "Computer Ranking".
Each member of each group may come up with their rankings in any way they like. I don't care what criteria they use. Every week I would have in my hands 3 rankings representing a thorough cross-section of the country. They have seen every game from their own perspectives. They have ranked every team as they see fit.

I will now take these 3 rankings and average each together giving me all 117 teams ranked in order as an average ranking. I shall call this the "Kings Ranking".

The Kings Ranking shall be used by the top bowl game to be rotated every year. This bowl game will take the top two from the Kings Ranking to play each other. The winner of this game shall be deemed the King's National Champion. All other bowl games may choose whomever they feel they would like. Conferences may have tie-ins, however no bowl team may have a .500 record or worse. Qualified teams from other conferences shall fill spots vacated by unqualified sub-.500 teams.

The King is happy. All is well in the land. And they all lived happily ever after.

Or just have a stinkin' playoff.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]