Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Getting Your Blog Noticed

There's been some good discussion on getting blogs noticed or increasing traffic to a blog.

The other day I got an email from a fellow blogger asking the same question. I thought I'd post the reply here as well:
If you've gone through my "Orangejack Blogging University", you know I've covered some of the tips I have for increasing traffic.

Basically I suggest you start/continue to:

Get yourself known in the blogsphere by reputation:

1. Post frequently
2. Post on what you know and write so others are interested
3. Post on topic or in your niche as often as possible...unless your niche is "random"...kind of like mine. I don't know why people keep coming to mine. It's all over the place.

Get yourself known in the blogsphere by getting noticed:

1. Comment on other blogs that are similar to your stuff (comment on topic...contribute). It's like finding friends out there.
2. Link to other blogs (blogroll and post about other blogs). Let them know you've linked to them. Maybe they'll reciprocate, maybe they won't. Don't be pushy, just let them know.
3. Visit other people's blogs by clicking on the links on your blog (bloggers will see the referring reference as your blog and might check it out). This one is kind of weak, but it sometimes works.
4. Advertise in your profile/signature on [online communities you are a part of] and/or post on [those communities] and say "I wrote more on my blog here". Just don't be a real tease about it. People don't want to chase your thoughts all over the internet, but they will check it out if it's reasonable. You have an advantage here because you have a good rep in [a particular community]. I post infrequently so people aren't as up to visiting my stuff as they are yours. It's the same in the blogsphere. Use the same model to build reputation.
5. Add a signature to your email and let your friends/family know about it.

What this boils down to is if you continue to post good stuff, people will eventually come. You have a small network of people who are coming already. They will spread the word if it's good. If it's not, they won't.

Hope that helps.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]