Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Skype

Have you heard of Skype? If you've been around me lately you probably have. I've become a big fan of skype. They call it on their website: Skype - Free Internet telephony that just works. And it's true! I've been on it about a month now and I'm hooked...I just don't have a lot of friends on it yet...or the ones that are on it don't have a microphone!

Skype uses a technology called VoIP (voice over internet protocol, or just voice over IP). Here's the rundown:The downside is that you have to be at your computer and logged into skype...but that's no different than using other IM programs. Some friends have commented "No one calls me and I can talk for free after 9 on my cell" or "I have iChat so I'm fine." Well, I can't talk on iChat and I don't want to usually talk after 9! Ha! Admittedly, sometimes the calls sound a bit "digitized", but it's no worse than cell reception sometimes!

You really should have broadband, but I don't think you have to. You'll also need to make sure you have a microphone and speakers. I bought a headset that has a boom mic on it for $25. They have them cheaper. Go to Best Buy or other places like that. Or you can get a mic that stands on your desk for $10.50 at Best Buy. However you might have them built into your computer, but there won't be any privacy (like speakerphone).

It's really cool, clear, and free.

Here's some cool stories about some of my friends and I using skype:It's pretty cool. You should check it out also.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]