Sunday, February 13, 2005

How Fast is Broadband?

I don't mean literally. But here's what I thought to be true:

Most broadband companies max out around 3-5 Mbps. At least that's what some now advertise: "We're now faster...up to 5 Mbps". Things like that.

But my old wireless router transmits up to 11 Mbps. If I plug into my router, I go up to 100 Mbps. I think newer routers go even faster.

But if the line coming into the router is only up to 5, isn't my OLD router at 11 overkill? It seems that I could handle my ISP doubling their speed without skipping a beat. Why would I want to pay more money for a router that is supposed to be WAY faster than what I have when it seems to me my current router is capable of handling double the speed I have access to?

And if that's the case, is plugging into my router (100 Mbps) really any faster than wireless (11 Mbps) when the speed the router receives is only 5 Mbps?

What am I missing?





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]