Saturday, June 11, 2005

Hurricanes and Radio

As you know, June 1 started the 2005 hurricane season. Here in Florida many "hurricane items" like batteries, flashlights, tarps, and generators were tax-free June 1-12.

Mix 105.1 and AmSouth BankSo how did we prepare? Well, yesterday morning I went out to a local AmSouth Bank because they were co-sponsoring with Mix 105.1 an event called "Power to the People" -- a program giving away free generators every 15 minutes from 6-9 to prepare for the hurricane season. So I went out.

I didn't win.

Scott and Erica of Mix 105.1

But it was fun being out there watching Scott & Erica do their thing. I've always enjoyed the inner-workings of a radio station. I tried to be a DJ my freshman year in college but the slot they gave me was during a class. They wouldn't change it so I had to quit. Bummer. It was fun. And regrettably I didn't go back.

I was thinking I don't like to talk a lot so I can't really be on the radio. I'm not pretty enough for TV. On the internet I can be anyone I want to be! Perfect.

So then today I went to Lowe's to get the rest of our hurricane supplies and dropped $180 (about a three-fourths on a tarp, batteries, water, etc). I learned something there. If you ask the right people questions you can get good, fast, helpful answers. If you don't, you'll be walking all around the place looking and feeling like a dolt. Going to a place like that for me takes patience and time to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it right, child. I've got my mind set on...where did that cheesy George Harrison song come from?

Sorry. Anyway, I think we're pretty much set. We've been having tornado watches and clouds, strong breezes, and rain all day because of TS Arlene.

I don't like hurricane season.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]