Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Modern Classical Music

This question has been wandering around in my mind for a long time and so I'm letting it out. I'm ignorant of this matter and I freely admit that. I don't know why this has been roaming in my mind for a while. I have strange things in there. Letting them out sometime is dangerous. This time I think it's fairly platonic.

When someone composes a contemporary musical score in the tradition of the classical music such as Mozart, et al, is it properly called "Classical Music"?


Say for example when John Williams composes a score for a new movie, is it classical? How do you categorize it? The word "classic" usually refers to something old, not new. Retro is usually something new that has the old feel to it.

I've just noticed that classical music (or whatever it's properly called) is so complex. I don't listen to it a lot, but when I do, it's really amazing. Today's pop music is short. The writer typically composes about 30-60 seconds of music then repeats. Classical writers compose music that lasts for minutes without repeating.

It's not always my cup of tea, but I do enjoy it on occasion.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]