Thursday, September 01, 2005

Humbled Coaches in SC

I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning: the state of South Carolina has a couple of humbled coaches.

I wonder how the seasons will be effected at Clemson and S. Carolina because of it.

Bowden was a proud man. Then he got that pride handed to him on a plate against Wake Forest in 2003. One of the most embarrassing losses he and Clemson (and I) ever endured. But I think it humbled him. He's a better man. He rallied the team and they made it through the season. They only did fair last year (by record). I'm a true fan...we were better than our 6-5 record!

Spurrier was a proud man. There's no doubt about his pride. There was a joke: what's the difference between Spurrier and God? The answer is one knew he was God and the other thought he was. Spurrier thought he was so smart when he went to the NFL. He thought he could run his style of football there...even bring in ex-UF QB's to run his O. What a laugh. He was humbled. And listening to his interviews now I think he is more humble.

It'll be interesting to see how this new-found humility for both coaches will play itself out this year.

BTW, my pre-season pick: Clemson wins 7. Carolina wins 6.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]